Speech and Language Therapists (SLTs) work in partnership with parents, carers and school staff to help children/young people who have communication and/or feeding difficulties. In special schools we are part of the team around the child.
In the SLT team there are SLTs and SLT Assistants. We maintain contact with parents/carers in a variety of ways, e.g. through the child planning meetings, telephone calls and the school home diary. Parents can contact us through the school or by calling the school on (01506) 777598.
What We Offer
We assess and support your child's communication development in the following areas:
· Social interaction
· Attention and listening
· Understanding of language
· Expressive language and speech
· Use of alternative communication methods, e.g. sign support, photo/picture/symbol visual aids and/or voice output aids.
We also support children/ young people with eating, drinking and swallowing difficulties.
We work collaboratively with the team around your child and enable your child to develop their communication and language potential.
SLTs support your child by:
· Setting goals jointly with education staff and parents/carers for your child's Individual Education Programme (IEP)
· Providing training for school staff and parents/carers to support your child's therapy programme, e.g. Signalong, Picture Exchange Communication System (PECS) and ensuring safe eating, drinking and swallowing
· Suggesting strategies and resources to encourage functional communication in the class room and at home
· Contributing to your child's planning meetings.
Please do not hesitate to contact the Speech and Language Therapy Team at Beatlie if you have any questions or anything that you'd like to discuss. You can reach us through your child's school diary or at 01506 77598.